Monday, August 26, 2013

Making a Play Mat for Your Kids on a Budget....



Over the summer break, we did a lot of things to try and stay busy.  One morning the kids wanted to play with their snap together city but they were fighting over it and having a hard time keeping it snapped together.  They were just angry and we needed to find something different to do.  I had gone in my closet to find some tape to tape the cities together and that is when I looked in the corner of my closet to find an old burgundy rug that I was going to throw out because we didn't use it anymore.

I brought the rug out and told the boys that we were going to make a town with the rug.  They were very interested in helping me and thought it was really fun.  


You can get as fancy as you want with this.  It started out pretty plain with just the rug and the city pieces taped on the rug, and then we just kept adding and adding with things that we had laying around the house.  The possibilities are endless!


What I used:

An old rug that I paid $12 for at Dollar General
Duct Tape
Hot glue (to glue on trees/flowers/and light poles)
Car track with buildings (or you can make your own buildings with cardboard boxes)
colored construction paper (for grass/water/parking lots)
I used fake flowers (I am surprised the boys let me glue them on there)
small thread spools for trees
Toothettes for light poles (we have these because Ryan needs them because of his special needs for his oral care.  You can use DumDum suckers instead)
Yellow spray paint (for the street lights)


Trevor was so happy that I made him so many grass patches so he could mow his grass with his John Deere.  :)



We also made a bridge with cardboard and a ring box underneath.  



A fun little boat/raft that we made.


I balled up green paper to make the tops of the trees.


The spray painted light poles.


The kids wanted lots of parking for their matchbox cars.


This was such a fun DIY project to do with the boys!  They loved helping me put this together and now I don't have to hear them yell because they can't get the tracks to stay together.

My hubby was a little mad that I used a whole roll of Duct Tape though...  ;) Ha Ha!

Hope you have a great day!

If you would like a glimpse into our day to day life where I post pictures of my boys and what I do for health and welness, you can follow me HERE!


If you would like to learn more about making 1K a month, you can click HERE!



Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. This is very cool. I've pinned it. Thanks for visiting my blog. I am now following you via your social outlets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana and thanks for stopping by! I will return the favor and I hope you have a wonderful day! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! How creative! Thanks for commenting on my FB FQ today!
    ~dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn! Thanks for stopping by here too! :)

      Delete
  3. I was wondering where you got the buildings from? I just finished making a car town play rug for my son and am working on buildings now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering where you got the buildings from? I just finished making a car town play rug for my son and am working on buildings now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips