Monday, April 15, 2013

April 15th: Grocery Shopping on a Budget & Weekly Menu...


Hello there!  Thanks for stopping by!

I am so excited to start a new series where I will show you what I buy at the grocery store weekly for my family.  I will show you what I bought and what I spent.  I like to keep my budget under $100 a week. 

I would like to start off by saying that this system is what works for my family and it is the best way that I have found to stay within budget and organize what I need weekly for my meals.  I have 5 in my family but only 4 of us eats. (I know this sounds strange, but my middle son, Ryan, has special needs and receives all of his nutrition through a g-tube.)  I know that everyone has different family sizes and needs so your budget and kind of groceries you buy may be much different than mine.  My intentions for this series is to help inspire you to be more organized in your shopping endeavors for your family!  

Another thing I need to let you know is that I buy little to no prepackaged food.  I try to only shop the outer perimeters of the grocery store and buy as naturally as possible.  In a perfect world I would buy all organic but that is just not in my budget right now.  I will buy organic if it is on sale.

I will break my shopping down into groups:

Produce
Meats
Dairy
Packaged
Necessities
Splurges

Then I will share with you my menu for the week.

Lets start with my produce:

Most of my time at the grocery store is spent in produce buying fresh fruit and vegetables.  I usually buy more fruit but this week my younger son is on vacation with my parents and he eats a lot of fruit during the day (he is not in school yet) so you will see more fruit in my produce next week.  :)

On to the Meats:


I love the new meat section they put in our store!  It is an organic all natural chicken section where I can get whole chicken, chicken breast, chicken tenders, and boneless skinless chicken breast.  I bought the boneless skinless chicken breast and will freeze half of the package because it will feed us two times.  Steak is kinda a splurge for us, but I buy ribye for my husband and I and buy sirloin for the boys.  I got the shrimp on sale for $6.99.  Good deal!  I have actually started paying the extra money for Organic Eggs.  It is only $1 or so more, so $4 more a month for cage free eggs is worth it for me!  

Dairy:

I LOVE greek yogurt and this Yopa! is my favorite!  I get the vanilla with almonds in the top and add dark chocolate chips and flax seeds.  I eat one yogurt every day!  I also buy full fat of everything.  It is better for you!

Packaged Items:

I am making Enchiladas this week so I bought the prepackaged things for that.  A family with kids always needs ketchup!  :)  Have you tried these Triscuits?  Dill sea salt and olive oil!!  They are so good!!  I bought the Triscuits on sale.

Necessities:


Necessities will include toilet paper, paper towel, napkins, etc..
This week I needed freezer bags and Trash bags.  I was also able to get trash bags on sale.  Why did I buy 2?  One for the kitchen and one for Ryan's room.

Okay...now for my splurges for the week:


These are things that I either don't buy often or I bought and shouldn't have.  ;)
I Needed more Chili Powder and Fajita seasoning, and ended up buying some Adobo too.  Does anyone else use this?  What is it good on?
I also bought some Flax seed for my yogurt.  It was NOT on sale *gulp* (it was $5) but it is a big package that will last me a while.  I bought dark chocolate chips for my yogurt as well, and I needed a new tea pitcher so I bought a pretty yellow one that came with some cups.  I love that it came with cups because hubby loves to take cups outside when he is working outside and I don't like for him to take my good ones out there.  the pitcher and cups was $8. 

So, what was my total?


A litte more that I would like to spend...  $128.07  BUT I saved $10.33 which makes me happy!  :)

I bet you are wondering what I plan to make with all of this yummy food!

Here is my Menu:

Monday:

Grilled Steak with Baked Potatoes and Salad

Tuesday:

Grilled Shrimp and Vegetable Skewers

Wednesday:

Grilled Chicken Thighs w/ homemade BBQ sauce (I will post the recipe soon)
Green Beans, homemade cole slaw & Potato Salad

Thursday:

Enchiladas

Click HERE For the Recipe

Friday:

Trevor's Birthday Party!!  Pizza and Cake

As you can see, we eat very healthy and very well and I don't have to spend a fortune!

I hope you enjoyed this post!

Follow me on Facebook HERE for more money saving ideas!!



Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. I know you went over budget, but still, great job! Now I'm trying to decide if I am inspired to do a post like this, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dani! I think you should definitely do a post like this! Others love to see what we do, what we buy, and how we use what we buy! I say..Do it!! :)

      Delete
  2. I love piles of organized items. Whenever I check out at a grocery store (besides Trader Joe's, where they take all your stuff out of the cart for you), I arrange all my stuff neatly on the belt, almost like Tetris. It takes something mundane and makes it kind of lovely. :)


    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/5183051

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Bethany! I do that too! I arrange all of my items on the belt by what it is and that helps the cashier put things in the correct bags too! Don't you hate getting home and having cheese in the same bag as your trash bags or something silly like that?!?! :)

      Delete
  3. I love seeing how others shop/save/feed. What types of breakfasts and lunches do you do? I can't seem to stay under $125-$150 per week for our family of 5 and one dog and I'd love to get it to $100 per week. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, It is just my 4 yr old and me during the day while the others are at work and school. I usually fix us oatmeal or cream of wheat for breakfast. He likes to snack more than eat so he may eat yogurt, and then an hour later eat some fruit. Ha! He loves a pbj for lunch so as long as I have that and some bread, he is good. I have a 180 smoothe for lunch every day after my workouts so I don't have that factored into my weekly $ but they are not that much for a smoothee. Less than $3 a smoothee I think is what it is. It is very hard to stay in budget but making my list before I go and then sometimes looking at it and condensing it even more if I can helps.

      Delete
  4. This is such a great idea.. to go shopping with a budget and a plan for the week. I have noticed that prices here in NJ are slowly creeping up and I watch my bill climb each week by anywhere from $10 -$20 depending on which stores I shop. We usually switch off between Shoprite and the farmer's market to best use our budget. Thanks for your planning tips and for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party!
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Amie! I am going to try our local farmers market soon and I can't wait to see if it helps save even more. I will let you know! :)

      Delete
  5. My boyfriend is a great cook and puts Adobo on almost everything. He cooks a lot of Mexican types of meals so I guess it makes sense to put it on everything! His favorite way is to put in canned refried or black beans while they cook with a few other seasonings (cumin, garlic powder, a little hot sauce, cheese, etc.) and it makes canned beans much more home-y. My favorite way to use it is to boil in quick rice, makes it almost have like a chicken broth kind of flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Wow!! These are all wonderful ideas!! I would have never thought of putting adobo in the canned beans! Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips