Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Living Room "Face-Lift" on a Budget...


The closer it is getting to spring, the more anxious I started to get about changing our living room up a bit to make it a little more colorful and inviting.  I am so excited to share what I did with you today!  
I am on a tight budget, so I only spent about $40 on the transformation!  I had to be very creative so I wouldn't spend too much money so I found some old things laying around the house that I already had and spruced them up a bit!  The only thing I bought, was yellow spray paint (which is my Pop of Color), brown spray paint, twine, and a curtain.

 My first project was wrapping three different sized containers in twine.  I love the look of twine and thought it would fit in nicely.  I found parfait cup, a cute little pomegranate bottle, and a Root Beer Bottle to wrap! 

All you need is some twine (I found some at the dollar store) and a hot glue gun....


I just love how they turned out!  As you can see, I painted the stem of the parfait cup brown so It would match a little better.  I set them on a beautiful older plate that I had in the kitchen.

The next thing I did was to paint my brown lamps yellow, and change the lamp shades with a little bit of fabric.  I don't even think they look like the same lamp anymore, but I absolutely love them now!!

As you can see below, I bought a curtain that I found on sale at Lowes and cut them to fit around my shade and by simply using hot glue, I was able to wrap them and completely change the look of the shade for the cost of a curtain.  I still have a bunch of this fabric left over for another project in another room!


I also decided to give a few of my picture frames a pop of color with the same yellow spray paint that I used on the lamps.  I was a bit nervous to do this but I am so glad now that I did!  It think it looks great!


All of my frames were black, so I ended up taking them all down and painting them brown and yellow.   I also painted our clock and our letter K yellow....


I also had these two little tables that were the same but different colors.  They were given to me and I had been trying to figure out what to do with them.  Problem solved!!  I painted them yellow and put them on either side of our Recliner with a few little decorations on them!  Aren't they so cute!?!?


The last thing I did was to change our shelf under our TV up a bit.  I love the fabric baskets on the bottom shelves but they were too plain.  The boys keep their shoes in them so I decided to free hand the letter of their first name on each basket.  It was fun and the kids loved watching me!  I also painted the brown baskets, you guessed it...yellow!  LOL 



Thanks so much for stopping by!  

I hope you love the transformation as much as I do!

For more tips and ideas, visit me on Facebook HERE!



Photobucket

37 comments:

  1. LOVE the yellow! It really pops! :) Great makeover! I pinned ya! Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for the pin!! Hope your day is awesome!! Julia

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Bonnie! I hope you have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  3. Awesome! I love the twine jars, so fun!
    I found you today at Salt Tree's Linky. I hope you can stop by my blog and leave a comment, too!
    ~ Megin of VMg206
    www.vmg206.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet comments and for stopping by, Megin! I would love to check out your blog! I hope you have a great day! Julia

      Delete
  4. I love EVERYTHING about this room! Great idea with the pom bottle... it's so mod!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha! Thanks, Jamie and thanks for stopping by! I hope you have a wonderful day! Julia

      Delete
  5. I love what you did with your living room! I have a few ideas for my living room, I just haven't started on the projects yet. You are an inspiration! I LOVE what you did to the lamp. It looks fabulous!

    Julie @ ThHis Gal Cooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie and thanks for stopping by! I have to work on my Master Bedroom next! ack! Julia

      Delete
  6. Ha, I guess I was typing too fast in the previous post. I spelled my blog name wrong. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) That's ok...I got ya! I love your blog by the way! Julia

      Delete
  7. loving your lamp makeover, and wish i would have seen this before i went to the dollar store so i could have bought myself some twine! i have a brown couch and light blue wall in my living room, and i'm always trying to debrown that space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I totally understand about "debrowning"! LOL The yellow just added the perfect pop of color! Julia

      Delete
  8. Looks like your hard work paid off! The room looks great!

    -Meg, www.willwork4cupcakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Megan! Thanks for stopping by and I will check out your blog! I see the word cupcakes and I can't wait! LOL Julia

      Delete
  9. Awesome! I love the way you placed the yellow all throughout...and it's perfect for spring! Love all the different shapes of the diff containers you wrapped with twine. Love the lamp changes too! Great job Julia!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Luisa and thanks for stopping by! I had a lot of fun with this project! :)

      Delete
  10. Now thats how you work 40.00 honey! High Five. Great job

    according2sharon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sharon!! :) I just used things I already had on hand and it was so much fun!! I am dangerous with some spray paint! LOL I hope you have a wonderful day! Julia

      Delete
  11. I LOVE the little ways you spruced up your living room. I might just have to use some of these ideas for my living room, and I love the yellow! Thanks for linking up at Whatever Goes Wednesday. Just wanted to let you know that this is will be featured this afternoon at Someday Crafts, so come check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Miranda! (my sister's name is Miranda too!) I am so glad that you stopped by and thank you so much for featuring me! I will definitely be checking it out! I hope you have a wonderful day! Julia

      Delete
  12. wow, that's amazing! i love all of them! it is amazing what paint can do!!!!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Mandy! Spray paint is AWESOME! ;)

      Delete
  13. Love the new look! I'm not normally a fan of yellow, but I dearly love how you used it! Looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amee and thanks for stopping by! I hope you have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  14. I love your transformation. I love the change in the lamp and all the yellow bits you added. I'm not sure I would be brave enough to paint the lamp and frames. I need to get more brave because it looks amazing.
    I would love if you would share this at my link party. http://www.realcoake.com/2013/03/real-family-fun-5.html
    Take care,
    KC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KC! I was so nervous to do it too! I took me a whole week to commit! LOL Now I have to figure out what I am going to do in my master bedroom! Thanks for the invite to your linky party! I will hop on over there now and check it out!

      Delete
    2. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who gets nervous to do these kind of things. It paid off in my opinion, since it looks great! Can't wait to see what you do in your master bedroom. Thanks so much for coming by and linking up!
      KC

      Delete
  15. The yellow really does pop! And such a grand job you've done on a tight budget - the twine wrapped containers are a brilliant idea :)

    Thank you for sharing this at Cook, Craft, Create!

    Michelle xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I was terrified to try the yellow but so glad that I did!

      Delete
  16. You are a brave and creative person! You had me at the lamp transformation, and everything else that you did to pull it all together is just fab. Great job - thanks for showing us what can be done.
    Resa ~ Pitcher and Plate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Resa! Thanks for stopping by! I had so much fun with the living room, but now I just have to keep it clean with my three wild boys! Ha!

      Delete
  17. What great ideas! I never would have thought of splitting a table in half for end tables haha!

    Visiting you from the huckleberry link up :)

    storiesofkel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelsey! Thanks for stopping by and for your sweet comment! I am on my way to check out your blog now! :)

      Delete
  18. What a wonderful job - so impressed. I love the twine decoration.

    I would love for you to link up at the Empty Your Archive party which has living room makeovers and organisation as one of it's themes this week - Alice @ Mums Make Lists x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips