Monday, February 4, 2013

Easy and Healthy Lasagna Step by Step....


I love recipes where I can just throw everything together and just bake it the next day!  
We had a pot luck dinner at Church and I needed something yummy, healthy, and easy.  I decided to make a Lasagna.  Most people think that Lasagna is hard to make or that it takes a long time, but it really is very simple and easy!

First, I melted some coconut oil in the bottom of my pot and added some diced onions, salt, and pepper.



Then I mince 4 cloves of garlic and add them to the onions to saute for about 3 to 5 minutes.  


It is ready when it looks like this...


Then I add ground chicken.  You can use ground beef if or turkey if you would like but I used chicken to keep it healthy.  :)


Saute Chicken until cooked thoroughly...


While the chicken is cooking, mix together large container of cottage cheese (you can use ricotta if desired), 1 egg, 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, grated mozzarella cheese, and italian seasoning. 


It will look like this after is it mixed....



I use store brand Lasagna noodles.  I do not buy the oven ready.  I do not care for the texture of them so I just get the regular.


For the sauce, I use Bertolli Marinara.  I LOVE this sauce and think that if you don't make your own, it is the best!



When the chicken, onion, and garlic mixture is cooked thoroughly, pour two jars of Marinara into the meat and mix together.


Yummy!  This is the sauce element of the lasagna.


When I have all of the ingredients ready, I make a little station on the counter like an assembly line to get ready to layer the Lasagna.


First, I put down a layer of sauce in my 13 x 9 inch dish to give the noodles somewhere to go..



Then I put a layer of Lasagna noodles on top of the sauce. 


Then a layer of the meat sauce...


Then a layer of your cheese mixture...


And then some shredded Mozzarella to finish off the first layer...



Layer with noodles, meat sauce, cheese mixture, and mozzarella again...then one more layer of noodles, meat sauce, and Mozzarella cheese.  Now you are finished!

Look how yummy!!



Then I do something unexpected.....
Yep, I put it in the fridge overnight for all of the flavors to marry and for the noodles to soften.


In the morning, I got up and put the oven on 350 degrees and put the Lasagna in the oven before preheating.  Since it is cold, I let it warm up with the oven while it preheats.  Bake with foil on top for 45 minutes to an hour.

All done! 


I was kind of hoping that there would be some leftovers from our fellowship meal so we could have it for a meal during the week, but it was all eaten!  :)


If you try it, let me know what you think!  

For money saving tips and daily updates, you can follow me HERE on Facebook!


Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. This casserole sure does look yummy! I just saw your link over at The Chicken Chick's link party.

    I'd love for you to come over and link up a few recipes at my weekend link party @The Weekend re-Treat

    Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Shauna! I was actually out of town this past weekend but will stop by and link up this weekend! I hope you have a great day!

      Delete
  2. My husband just requested lasagna. I have never made it without cooking the noodles first (my most hated step!). I am going to try this week. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, Theresa! Let me know how it works out for you! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Oh, this looks so good!! Thank you for sharing this at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathryn! I love your blog and thanks for the linky party! Hope you have a great day!

      Delete
  4. Looks great! And I love the idea of using chicken. Turkey would probably be godo too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon! Yes, I have used many different meats but the Chicken is so good and healthy. Ground Turkey would be healthy too! I have found that both seem cheaper than ground beef. Hope you have a great day!

      Delete
  5. Yum! Love this idea for not cooking the noodles. I love to add spinach to mine in one of the layers. I think I will try this method next time. Save me the hassle of boiling the noodles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never boil the noodles! I also don't let it sit overnight. I do everything else the same, though I don't mix the cottage cheese with anything. Just a layer of sauce, noodles, cottage cheese/mozzarella, drained frozen spinach, repeat. Perfect noodles every time and nothing soggy, ever. Cook for 45-hour in 350 oven.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips