Wednesday, January 30, 2013

This is where I want to cook!...

Follow my blog with Bloglovin


My husband and I decided that it was time for a change for our kitchen.  It was okay but the cabinets were falling apart because they were so cheap, and we wanted to open the kitchen up more to the living room.

We never imagined that we would be able to afford a complete Kitchen makeover!  So, how much did we spend? I will tell you how much we spent at the end of the post! We decided to sit down and put our plans on paper and found that we could afford the kitchen if we did the work on our own.   We were completely fine with that because both of us LOVE doing DIY projects together!  (We dream together all of the time about projects that we want to do in our home!)


So, here we go! 

This is before...





My cabinets were painted and the paint was chipping off of them.  I loved the plexi glass but it would rattle really bad when you closed the cabinets.  I didn't care for the black counter tops with the brown cabinets at all either.

We went to Lowes and picked out some things that we did like and this is what we came up with...


Once we had a plan, we started demolition!  Now, let me tell you...if you do not have a strong marriage, this is NOT for you!  It was very hard to have my kitchen completely torn up for a week with three small children!  It was very stressful!!  



This picture makes me cringe....  It was such a mess!



We were going to try and take the white tile off of the wall but we couldn't get it off so we had to remove all of the drywall where the tile was.  Just unexpected bumps you run into during a DIY project...





The new cabinets didn't stick out as much as the old ones, so hubby had to fix the hardwood floor.  Looking back at this...we should have put some plastic over our floors to protect them.  Oh well!


Finally we were ready for some cabinets!

To save money, we bought cabinets that we had to finish ourselves.  This is probably where we saved the MOST money!  It was VERY hard work, but I loved that I was able to choose the finish myself. 




That looks MUCH better!!


Here you can see where I started to stain some of the cabinets.  We wanted the stain pretty dark so we had Lowes mix us a dark stain because there wasn't one available on the shelf.  


The sink and faucet installed...


Here is a close up of the counter top that we chose.  It saved us money to buy laminate counter tops.  I would LOVE to have something nicer one day but this is good for now!  After the cabinets and counter went in, we did the tile.  I have no pictures of this because we were up past midnight doing tile work and I didn't think to take pictures, but It was pretty simple to do the tile ourselves.




And my wall of cabinets finished...


Finally we finished the sink side of the Kitchen!  Now, on to the Island... Here we are taking down the half wall.





The Island cabinets installed...


Almost finished!  We had to special order our counter top for the island since it was so big.  It was worth it not to have any seams!


The finished island...  (The kids have their toys on the living room side)



I LOVE my new kitchen!!  Thanks Hubby!!


So, what did we pay?  Not $15,000..not $10,000...not even $5000!!  

We only spent $3000!!  That is all! 

Buying unfinished cabinets, and using most of our existing appliances is what helped our cost the most.  We bought a new microwave but the rest we already had.  When shopping for appliances, look on the scratch and dent isle.  We bought our $1,500 Refrigerator for $800 because it had a little scratch on the side where no one could see it!  Talk about a deal!

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you have a great day!


If you would like more money saving tips and keep up to date with me, you can follow me on Facebook HERE!

To see some of my favorite all natural cleaning products that I use in my home, you can go HERE!





Photobucket

18 comments:

  1. Looks great. You guys did a lot of work. And yes, you have to have a good marriage to DIY. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha! I am glad you liked it! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Very nice improvement. I LOVE what you did to the island!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle! It tends to be a "catch all" at times but I clean it off every night before I go to bed. :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful kitchen makeover! How smart to put cabinets all around the island for use in another room. Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Audra! My husband didn't want to put in the cabinets on the other side and put in bar stools. You see who won that argument! ;) Hope you have a great day!

      Delete
  4. Looks fabulous! Just told hubby about this, seeing if I can sweet talk him into redoing ours...at least the countertops. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy!! Let me know if you guys end up doing anything! It is so hard to do renos when you have kids!

      Delete
  5. Hi Julia, your kitchen looks amazing! You both did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karina!! I love your name, by the way! Hope you have a blessed day!

      Delete
  6. What a great renovation on the cheap! I'd love it if you stopped by and linked up at Thrifty to Nifty Thursdays at A Jennuine Life. http://www.ajennuinelife.com/2013/01/thrifty-to-nifty-thursdays-5.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenn! I will definitely stop by and link up! :)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica! I love to cook here now! :)

      Delete
  8. This is amazing--$3000?!?! You guys are my DIY heroes! I found you at The Fun in Functional Link Party-- thanks for sharing this incredible project with us!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, and for your sweet comments! It was a hard but fun Reno! I hope you have a blessed day!!

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful kitchen you now have! I loved this post, we are doing a bunch of DIY projects in our home so it was great to see a success story! You must be absolutely loving it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do love it so much! It is fun to cook again! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips