Monday, January 21, 2013

Pot Roast and Veggies....


One of our favorite dinners is pot roast!  I tried my best to make this recipe as healthy as possible.  I was able to loose three pounds this week, so I guess it wasn't so bad for me.  ;)  You can read about my weight loss HERE.

I was able to get a great deal on our Roast this week!  It was on sale for $7 and it is a pretty good sized roast!



The first thing I do, is take the Roast out of it's packaging and put it on a big plate so I have room to season it.  I also pre-heat my oven to 325.


This is one of my new cast iron dutch ovens that I used for the first time with this roast.  It turned out AMAZING!  If you don't have a cast iron dutch oven, I strongly recommend you get one!  I got mine as a gift for Christmas but it was under $40.
I go ahead and turn on my cast iron dutch oven and get it heating up.  I put a tablespoon of Coconut oil (much healthier) in the bottom to help brown the meat.


Now it is time to prep the Roast.  I seasoned mine with kosher salt and pepper and then liberally sprinkled it with flour and put it in the Dutch Oven.


Let it brown on the first side for 4 to 8 minutes.


While I was waiting on my roast to brown, I prepped my Veggies.  I use onion, potatoes, carrots, and garlic with my Roast.


I chopped up everything and put it on a plate so it was all ready to go in with the roast.



I flipped the roast over after about 5 minutes and browned it on the other side.  Mmmm!  It looked so good and smelled good too!


When the roast finished browning, I took it out of the dutch oven and put it on a separate plate so that I could put some of the vegetables on the bottom under the Roast.  I put about half of the veggies on the bottom, put the roast back in, and then put the rest around the sides and top of the roast.


Before I put the lid on the roast and put it in the 325 preheated oven,  I pour a few tablespoons of water over the roast.  This just helps it stay moist in the oven.


I cook the roast for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.  When you take it out of the oven, it will be so tender and smell heavenly!  I put mine on a separate plate because I have kids and didn't want them to burn their hands on my cast iron pot.

Doesn't it look so good?!?!

I serve mine with a side of green beans and maybe some yeast rolls.  Yum!!


One of my favorite meals of all time!  

I hope you are able to try this recipe and love it as much as we do!


Follow me HERE on Facebook for more recipes, tips, and pictures of my day to day life!


Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. My favorite kind of dinner! Looks so wonderfully comforting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Maria! I hope you have a great day!!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda! I love your blog name, and you kids are so cute! Hope you have a great day!

      Delete
  3. Great looking winter meal bring it by foodie friday today. Folks will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane! I sure will! I hope you have a great day!

      Delete
  4. This looks so good! Perfect winter comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon! It is one of my favorites! I hope you have a blessed day!!

      Delete
  5. I got a dutch oven for Christmas after going to a Tyler Florence Food Demo where he showed how to make pot roast in the dutch oven and I just made pot roast for the first time a few weeks ago. I love your recipe, it looks so simple and I'm going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! I let me know how you like it! I love my two dutch ovens! I have a blue ceramic coated one and a regular cast iron one.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips