Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Our Tradition: Cinnamon Rolls...

Every year, I make homemade Cinnamon Rolls for Christmas morning.  I love to cook and bake in my lovely kitchen. 
I always make the Cinnamon Rolls the night before and then just pop them in the oven Christmas morning while we are opening up gifts from one another.  
I have an amazing cookbook that I bought myself when I got married.  I use it all the time!  It is a Betty Crocker Bridal edition cook book.  I don't know if you can buy them anymore or not but it is an amazing cookbook that I hope to pass down to my children's wives one day (since I have all boys LOL)!  :)

The recipe is as follows:

Prep: 40 mins
Rise: 2 hours
Bake 35 mins

What you will need:

3 1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
2 packages or 4 1/2 tsp of quick active dry yeast
1 cup warm milk (120 to 130 degrees)
1/4 cup butter softened
1 large egg
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter softened

To make icing:
1 cup of powdered sugar
one to two tablespoons of milk or cream
1/4 tsp vanilla

Let's get started, shall we?!?

1. Mix 2 cups of the flour, the sugar, salt and yeast in large bowl.  Add warm milk, 1/4 cup butter and the egg.  Beat with electric mixer on low speed 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently.  Beat on medium speed 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently.  Stir in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.

2.  Place dough on lightly floured surface.  Knead about 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and springy.  Place dough in large bowl greased with shortening, turning dough to grease all sides.  Cover bowl loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place about 1 hour 30 minutes or until double.  Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.


3.  Gently push fist into dough to deflate.  Flatten dough with hands rolling pin into 15x10-inch rectangle on lightly floured surface.  







4.  Spread with 2 tablespoons butter; sprinkle with 1/4 cup of brown sugar and 1 tsp of cinnamon.  Roll rectangle up tightly, beginning at 15 inch side.  Pinch edge of sough into roll to seal.  Stretch and shape until even.  Cut roll into fifteen 1-inch slices with dental floss or a sharp serrated knife.  Place slightly apart in pan.  Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place about 30 minutes to an hour.
(at this point, you can go ahead and bake your rolls but I put mine in the refrigerator over night and pull them out in the morning)




In the morning, I pull the rolls out of the fridge for about an hour and pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.  (I don't like golden brown so I bake mine for 25 to 30 mins)




I then make the icing by mixing all of the ingredients above together until I find a good consistency.  Sometimes I add softened cream cheese to make cream cheese icing.  Yummy!!




Enjoy with tea or coffee and your morning vitamins while you sit and admire your sweet kids and hubby on Christmas morning!  

What are your favorite things to eat on Christmas day?  Let me know on my facebook page HERE!

To learn more about the vitamins I take, go HERE!

Stay tuned to read about my New Years Goals!!  (note* goals instead of resolutions!)



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips