Monday, January 28, 2013

My Favorite Healthy Soup...


This is one of my favorite soups to eat in the winter, and since I am eating healthier, I changed the recipe up a bit to make it a little healthier for me and for my family.  This is such a crowd pleaser in my house!  The hubby and kids just LOVE it!

Corn and Potato Chowder:

You will need:

2 lbs potatoes
 (I usually use red skin but I had some regular potatoes that I had to use up)
2 tbs Coconut Oil (or real butter)
1 large onion diced
3 cups of corn
4 cups of skim milk
1/2 cup of half in half (can be omitted and just use skim milk)
2 tablespoons of fresh Thyme
1 to 2 pounds of chicken breasts or chicken breast tenders
Salt & Pepper

When I make this chowder, I chop and measure everything ahead of time.  It makes it much easier (esp if you have kids running around!)

Lets get started!

Cut potatoes in one inch cubes and boil until tender.


Melt coconut oil or butter in Cast Iron Pot over medium heat
(I used real butter this time but plan on using coconut oil the next time I make it.)


While butter is melting, Puree 1 cup of the corn (thaw frozen corn) with 1 cup of milk and set aside


And Dice 1 medium onion (I had a large onion so I used half)


Get your Milk and Half and half measured out...
3 cups of Milk, 1/2 cup of Half and Half, and 2 tablespoons of Thyme



Sautee your onions (add 1 tsp of salt) for 3 to 5 minutes until translucent


While onions are cooking, drain potatoes and run a knife through them roughly to chop them up a little...


When the onions are done, add all prepared ingredients to the soup:
3 cups of milk
1/2 cup half and half
2 cups of corn
the cooked potatoes
2 tablespoons of Thyme



And then add your corn and milk puree...


And of course, salt and pepper to taste...


While this is coming to a boil, I boiled my chicken and shredded it to go in the soup..



Did you know that you can shred your chicken in your kitchen aid mixer with the dough hook on?  It saves me so much time!

This soup is just so good and warms our tummies on cold winter days!
Mmmm!


I add extra pepper to mine before I eat it..


If you make it, please let me know what you think!

Thanks for stopping by!

If you want more recipes and money saving tips, Follow me on Facebook HERE!



Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious. Thank you so much for sharing. Pinning. Just a note Julia,my maiden name is Kendrick. Wonder if there is any relations there. Blessings, Jo-Ann









    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo-Ann! My husband is from Southern VA and has lived here all of his life. Have any relatives from there? :) Hope you have a blessed day! Julia

      Delete
  2. This recipe looks great! I may try this recipe this week. Perfect cold weather dinner idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so GOOD! You won't be sorry! My kids love it too.

      Delete
  3. I have used creamed corn before to make chowder but I love the idea of pureeing it yourself. This sounds so good! Can't wait to try it. Just pinned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicky! This one is a crowd pleaser around here! Let me know what you think! Julia

      Delete
  4. YUM, looks good. Thanks for sharing with us at "In and Out of the Kitchen Link Up Party" I'm hosting with Feeding Big.

    Dawn
    http://spatulasonparade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so yummy! And especially nice for a cold, windy day like it is here today!!!
    ~Kassi @ Truly Lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kassi! It is actually crazy here! It was very cold until today..today it is 75 degrees out. Ha! Hope you have a blessed day!

      Delete
  6. Does this ever look delicious! I'd love for you to share this at Tuesday's Table - http://zentmrs.blogspot.com/2013/01/tuesdays-table-superbowl-edition.html

    I'll be adding this to my list of "must try" recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! I went to your blog and linked it up! I hope you like it! Julia

      Delete
  7. Hi,
    This soup looks really good, wish I had a bowl full now. You have a great blog with yummy recipes.

    We are hosting our 2nd link party tomorrow and would like to invite you to link up with us.

    Thanks!
    The Busy Bee's,
    Myrna and Joye

    http://thebusybhive.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, M.J.! I will check out your party and go link up! Thanks for visiting! :)

      Delete
  8. This looks so tasty and I'm definitely going to try it. Thanks for sharing at Anything Goes At Eye Heart Monday's. Have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips