Thursday, January 17, 2013

Dinner tonight: Chicken -N- Fixins....



Since I am on a mission to eat as healthy as possible but still make my family happy for dinner, I am going to show you what I had for dinner tonight.  It was so good and everyone loved it!

I am also on a mission to save us money and be more frugal.  I spent $80 on our groceries this week and bought all fresh produce and meats.  Nothing was purchased from the inside isles of the store but our toilet paper and paper towel. :) LOL

So, tonight....we had Baked Chicken with Green Beans and Sweet Potatoes.


Instead of using butter or oil, I use Coconut Oil.  I have a little measuring cup that I only use for my coconut oil.  I melted it for a few seconds in the microwave so I could pour it over the chicken.  I bought y coconut oil at walmart.com in bulk if you are in the market for some.  You can also find it on amazon.com or vitacost.com.  Coconut is so good for your health and you can have 3 tablespoons a day!


After I poured the coconut oil over the chicken, I sprinkled it with a little bit of poultry seasoning, kosher salt, and pepper.



Here is my chicken all dressed up and ready to go into the oven.  I put the chicken in the oven for 1 1/2 hours on 350.




Then I got so busy cooking that I forgot to take pictures of how I made my sweet potatoes.  I peeled and cubed 2 large sweet potatoes and boiled them in water until tender.  When they were tender I strained them and added some milk, coconut oil, cinnamon, and a tiny bit of sugar in the raw to sweeten them just a tad.  They were so good.  Since they had sugar in them, i just had a tiny bit of these.  My kids LOVED them and I should have doubled the recipe because they wanted more and more!  ;)

On to the Green Beans!
I have several different ways that I make green beans but I think this is the healthiest way...


I chopped up some fresh garlic, and you can also add some onion if you would like but my kids are not crazy about onion so I left it out.  



I added some Coconut Oil to the bottom of my pan and let it get hot.  I added my garlic, fresh steamed green beans, kosher salt, and pepper.  Saute for about five minutes and DONE!


Here is the finished product and they were so good and fresh!

And the chicken....


MMmmmm!  It was so good!  The kids loved the chicken and thought it was really tender (or "soft" as they call it LOL).  It had good flavor!  Don't throw that left over chicken away!!  I plan on using the left over breast meat to make chicken salad sandwiches for the weekend.  You can also use it in a salad!




Healthy and so tasty! 

Thanks for stopping by!


Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. Wow!! That looks fantastic girl! $80?! You are doing so awesome!! I love it! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! that's awesome you were able to get only fresh meat and veggies! keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It has been much easier than I thought to shop this way! I am loosing weight too and that is so exciting to me! I hope you have a great day!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. And Yum it was! :) Thanks for the comment and I will go check out your blog! Hope you have a great day!

      Delete
  4. Looks delicious and healthy which is important. thanks for sharing your recipe with us on foodie friday. Hope to see more of you Julia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Diane! I hope you have a great day!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips