Monday, March 5, 2012

Big Changes...

Over the last few months I have been making changes in what we eat.  I have done some research read other "health nuts" blogs, and have found BIG things that we can (and did) change to make a difference in our health.  The health of my family is VERY important to me!  
The first thing that I changed:
I only buy fresh fruits, vegetables, and meats. 
I do NOT buy much of anything from the middle isles of the grocery store.
I quit buying processed foods.  If you want granola, make your own.  It is simple!!  If you want macaroni and cheese, make your own.  It is again, SIMPLE!
My kids love to eat fresh fruit!  Getting veggies in them is a little more challenging, but I find my ways.  ;)

The second thing I have changed, is what oil I cook with.
I now use coconut oil for everything.

The coconut oil is actually good for you and much better than butter, olive oil, or canola oil.  You can use coconut oil in anything that would call for oil or butter.  I can actually take the coconut oil out of the container and use it for my skin, for the kids skin, or even for massage oil.  It is good for everything!  You can learn more about coconut oil here.

The other two things you see pictured:
Organic Cold Milled Golden Flax Seed
&
Whole Grain Quinoa

I have been wanting to try Quinoa for a LONG time!  I have seen Giada (on the food network) use it a few times and talk about it's nutritional value.  I finally went on to amazon and bought some.  I tried it today and it is really good!  I cooked the Quinoa in chicken stock and ate it with asparagus. 

It is kinda like rice.  You can put anything in it or with it to make it taste like what you want.  It is so good for you!  I went to amazon to get a good deal on it because it was pricey at Walmart.  (I just roasted the asparagus in the oven with coconut oil, salt, and pepper.)
The flax seed is another change I have made.  You can put flax seed in anything.  It also has wonderful nutritional value and is so good for you.  I also bought my flaxseed on amazon.  Flaxseed is a good source of omega-3 and helps to keep your blood pressure low.  I put it in my shakes, in my flour to use as a coating for meat, you can put a tablespoon in anything you bake (cookies, breads, etc.), and I even put some in my Quinoa today.  
One of the final things that I have changed, is I quit buying ground beef and now buy ground chicken or turkey.  It is actually cheaper to buy ground turkey than it is to buy 93% ground chuck.  I made spaghetti the other night with the ground turkey, and I couldn't even tell that it wasn't ground beef.  I know that the ground turkey is healthier for my family!

I also buy organic when I can.  I have also noticed that my grocery bill is less than it used to be by shopping only on the outside isles of the grocery store.  

I have been following this blog to help me:
www.100daysofrealfood.com

Go check it out!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say, good for you - I've been gradually making some of the same changes for my family - as much organic as possible, more fresh fruits and veggies, less processed food. It's also helping me maintain my weight, which is a nice side effect ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leah! It certainly is a journey but we all feel so much better without all of the processed food in our system! Thanks for stopping by! Julia

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips