Friday, December 31, 2010

Not the New Year Celebrations I had planned on....

Well as most of you know, I am sitting at Roanoke Memorial Hospital with Ryan.  He is in the PICU in really rough shape.  It all started on Sunday.  He ran a fever all day Sunday and Monday with no other symptoms.  Then on Tuesday he continued to run a fever on and off and had symptoms of a sinus infection.  On Wednesday he was getting worse and sounding really dry in his nasal passages and had some bleeding so I called his Dr. and she put him on Augmentin for infection.  I figured by Friday he would be feeling much better.  Boy was I wrong.  He was 10 times worse this morning (Friday).  I worked on him for a while Thursday night giving him breathing treatments and vest treatments and trying to figure out how to moisturize his nasal passages.  Finally I figured out that I needed to put a mask on him instead of his canula because he was breathing more out of his mouth than his nose.  This was him Thursday night.
He was taking a breathing treatment and getting his vest treatment at the same time.

You can see the mess of wires and machines on his bed.  He is hooked up to a lot here at the hospital and it doesn't look that messy.  LOL

I woke up this morning and decided that he was working too hard to breathe and that he really needed to go to the hospital.  He was really breathing fast and was still having a fever.  When Elma came in (the nurse) she listened to his lungs and told me that he sounded much worse than he did the day before.  She said that he even sounded like he had pneumonia.  I went and got ready and packed my bags.  I am so glad that I packed all of my stuff this time.  I usually get here and have nothing.  No clothes, no makeup, no deodorant, no toothbrush, or anything.  This time I packed 4 outfits, 3 comfy pants, and 3 comfy shirts.  I packed all of my toiletries and my computer and camera.  Anyway....Elma and I took him to Martinsville Memorial and they took great care of him while he was there.  Martinsville doesn't usually keep Ryan around when he is this sick, so we were only there a couple of hours before the Transport Team arrived.  The team got Ryan stable and ready to go and I rode up with him in the ambulance here to Roanoke Memorial Hospital.  They have given Ryan IV antibiotics and a steroid.  He is also on a high flow canula that has warm moisture and humidity on it.  He is resting well now and seems to be more comfortable.  He isn't working as hard to breathe and Joe will be bringing his chest PT vest up tomorrow so he can get that therapy to help break up the congestion.  They diagnosed him with RSV and pneumonia in his right lung.  This is the sickest I have seen him.  He hasn't had to be on such a high liter of oxygen before.  Usually he is on 2 liters max.  They take great care of him here and I am just glad that I have a hospital bed in here for me to sleep in.  I usually have to sleep in a chair.  Here are some pictures from the ICU.  I will post more tomorrow as he improves.  I am hoping he feels well enough to sit up in a feeder seat tomorrow for a while.  We will see.  He has done nothing but sleep for the last three days.  



I miss Joe and the boys and wish I could be there with them and my Mom and Dad to bring in the new year, but I know that Ryan needs to be here getting better.  Thank you for all of the prayers.
Happy New Year!!!  


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I love and miss you guys! I am sorry you and Ryan can't be here but I am glad he is getting better! Kiss him for me!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips